2021 Student Playwriting Showcase
This contest is open to High School Students of NYSTEA members.
Selected plays are performed during the 2021 NYSTEA Student Conference at the Villa Roma Resort, January, 2021.
The deadline for submissions is Monday, June 19th, 2020 at 5 PM.
- Plays not following the guidelines (both creative and formatting) will be disqualified.
***NEW THIS YEAR!*** We will not be assigning a theme for the upcoming Showcase! Instead, please read the following Creative and Formatting Guidelines carefully, if you have any questions, email the Playwriting Committee.
Playwriting CREATIVE Guidelines for 2021:
- Your play must include the line: “It really tied the room together.”
- Must take place in only one setting
- No more than 4 characters
Must use three, and only three, of the following props:
- Rotary phone
- Oversized sunglasses
- Serving tray with cups
- Rubber duck
Playwriting FORMATTING Guidelines for 2021:
- Files may only be submitted in .doc or .docx format
- Dialogue must be written in a size 12 font
- First page is the official NYSTEA Cover page that includes:
title centered; playwright’s name, email, school, region, sponsor’s name and email.
- List all your characters and include a short description: name, age, personality, additional important information.
- Describe the action on stage as soon as the curtain opens, before any of the characters speak. Remember to describe the action that begins each scene when necessary.
- At the beginning of each scene include an “at rise.”
- Describe your setting, this should be written in paragraph form. Include all important details.
- Write all stage directions in parenthesis.
Plays are evaluated by a panel of readers from throughout the state!
Please review the UPDATED RUBRIC NYSTEA Playwriting Rubric 2021 before submission
Submissions for the
2021 Conference have closed.
Teachers and Advisors: Become part of the panel of readers!
The application deadline to be a reader is March 30th, 2020. If selected, you will be notified by April 15th, 2020. You receive your portion of plays to read and score by June 15th, 2020. All scores must be submitted by August 1st, 2020.